Thursday, July 06, 2006

Army Letters ( # 4 )

I got Snake's fourth letter today. Perhaps not the most romantic of all things, but it is a little blast from the past to talk through letters.
The difference in today is that there was actually a return address on the envelope.

Sarah, 30JUNE2006

Okay, well whoever said that we can't write or call for three weeks is full of...We finally have our permanent address and we got to basic today. We were briefed last night for two hours for boot camp. This morning we carried our bags and aligned them accordingly. After we ate we lined up next to our bags and they piled us up in these things that resemble horse trailers. The drill sergeants are freaking loud and not to freaking mention that we arrived at basic five days early so, instead of nine weeks we get ten and the drill sergeants didn't get a break in between the last privates that graduated today so they are taking it out on us. Boot camp freaking sucks. I got sent back to the end of the lunch line because I wasn't side-stepping. So, basic doesn't actually start counting until next Friday, which is good and bad for us. Good in the sense that we will be ahead and bad because the drill sergeants are pissed (we're not too ecstatic about the whole thing either) so we are going to get a lot of shit...

01JULY2006

I got cut off last night, didn't have time to finish. Today was easier, the didn't yell and the female drill sergeant took us to get Gatorade. We cleaned all three stories of the building that we are staying at. A lot of us hid in the lockers or bathrooms to get some sleep. (hah!) I'm beginning to hate the words "Front Leaning Rest Position" (push-ups). We should graduate around the first couple of weeks of September.
I miss you, I cannot wait to see you and hear from you. I love you. We get to call on Sundays. Do you think that you'll be able to make it to graduation? Let's hope so.
And I'll keep sending you letters, don't worry. I love you! (Sorry, but I can't be even more lame) I almost (but I held back) wrote "I Love Sarah" all over my stuff like everyone used to back in junior high. I'm totally joking. ...Or am I? I'm not, dammit how gay am I? I have to get ready for bed. I miss you.

Love,
Jake


The whole concept of communication via letter blows my mind, seeing as how so much communication I'm used to is electronic. (Rather, communication that everyone is used to, even living under a freaking rock, is electronic.) I almost forgot how to put pen to paper.
I've been keeping together well. And there was alcohol tonight, and given the circumstances, I could have definitely drowned my 'sorrows', but I think I'm starting to get over the whole 'acting drunkerer than you really are'. Not that that classifies me as mature, but http://otherpeoplespizza.blogspot.com totally gives my explanation.
I've been keeping in touch with Snake's mom a lot here lately. Hopefully we can go out to dinner here soon. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home